Advertising Agency: 72andSunny, USA
Music Artist: Gnarls Barkley
Song: Run (I’m a Natural Disaster)
Nike, the proud owners of one of the world's most popular slogans "Just Do It" and the max-recognized logo, the famous swoosh to match it, has done it again.
At the beginning of this year, http://www.nikeplus.com/ (the world's largest running club) tallied the kilometers of men and women who join an official Men vs. Women online running challenge using the Nike+ system through March 13 to April 20. The website is not new, but the challenge is. Those who think User Generated Content or UGC is a waste of time should think again. This idea was first suggested by a consumer on the Nike+ website, an interactive portal launched by Nike way back in 2006. The website allows Nike+ running shoes to transmit data wirelessly to an iPod nano, an iPod touch or Nike+ SportBand. Information on time, distance, pace and calories burned during a run is stored on www.nikeplus.com. You can stay motivated by setting goals, challenging others to virtual races, reach specific goals or use the tons of other features offered on the website.
As usual, Nike has partnered with Apple...nothing new about that.
But Nike has got many things right with this campaign.
1. Used integrated media. The above TV spot is just one of many promotions.
2. Made good use of humor and great music, both sure-shot winners with the target group.
3. Carried on with their co-branding efforts with a brand well-suited to their own image. Apple and Nike speak to similiar demographics.
4. Tapped on our most basic competitive spirit, I mean, what can be more fun than Men Vs. Women?
5. Given us the whole Nike experience. The gears, the tracking, the camaraderie and the sheer thrill of a sport which is the easiest and the most difficult at the same time.
Check out the video posted above and tell me if you dont feel like putting on those shoes and going for a run.